"There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going!"








Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Beginning.



First off, a confession: I'm probably the last person you'd expect to start a blog. This is for a number of reasons, the foremost being:

1) I used to think blogs were one of the most self-centered technological innovations known to man (and to a certain extent, I still do)
2) I'm an extremely private person

So, thinking as I do, why did I start a blog? I can answer this in two steps:

1) Tonsillectomy
2) Organization of thought

I recently got my tonsils removed because they've been plaguing me with illness for the past, oh I don't know, eighteen years of my life. As a result, I have been prescribed bed rest for one to two weeks. Given that I am usually an extremely busy person, I try to make the best of every moment of my day, and I decided what better way to spend bed rest than organizing my thoughts?

I appreciate what a luxury it is that I have the time and ability to sit down at a computer and work my thoughts out on the screen. I know a majority of the world doesn't have the tools and resources that I have and to not take advantage of them would be a shame.

So I might have been construed as "anti-blog" before, but I don't think that is quite right. I was more anti-narcissism, and recognized that many people write blogs because they want a great number of people to read them, which makes them feel important. While I recognize that the desire to feel important is a basic human aspiration, that is not why I want to start blogging. I honestly don't care if anyone reads this thing or not, because it is more of a way for me to map out and organize my thoughts in a readily accessible, organized format than anything else.

Anyways, that being said, I suppose a little bit of background about myself is needed. I live in Las Vegas and just finished up with my first year at UNLV as a history major. I started off as a business major but quickly discovered it just wasn't for me. I didn't feel fufilled or that I could genuinely help people with what they were presenting me. History, however is another matter.

I adore history. History, to me, is the study of everything, and what could be better than that? Everything you learn about has history, and history is in everything you learn about. History is the lens through which we can view all things. It is my opinion that you can't truly understand anything unless you know the history of it because history is the context of humanity.

Well, enough of that passion for now, I'm sure after I take my some more vicodin induced naps I'll have more to say :P

No comments:

Post a Comment